Grady opens his Texas slaughter house for business, and he’s looking for a new apprentice. Apprentices, can go to eagerfarmer.com. Mike’s been processing with a group of chefs-in-training at a local-to-him college. So it seems appropriate to spend time answering some really great processing questions from the Pastured Poultry Talk audience.
- Do you put anything between the crates to keep the birds from pooping on each other during transport?
- Feed withdrawal times and manure consistency.
- How many birds do you scald before you change the water in the scalder?
- Check that water level in the scalder.
- What are the lime green tips on the wings that I see when butchering? We take a tangent to Deep Pectoral Myopathy (green muscle disease).
- A listener asks about plucker selection for a USDA facility and about the logistics of opening a facility.
- The value of HACCP consultants.
Of course, we love your questions. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. And don’t forget to share this podcast with your pastured poultry friends.
Mike or Grady mentioned the following resources duringt the show:
- APPPA (American Pastured Poultry Producers Association)
- Niche Meat Processors Assistance Network
- Eager Farmer to find apprentices or an apprenticeship (Tell Sheri that Mike and Grady from Pastured Poultry Talk sent you)