Rebbeca Thistlethwaite and her co-author and husband Jim Dunlop wrote the book The New Livestock Farmer: The Business of Raising and Selling Ethical Meats and the author of Farms of the Future. Between them, they have a diverse livestock, orchard, and vegetable farming history. Their pastured poultry production includes layers (flocks as large as 5,000), broilers (up to 10,000 a year), a few hundred turkeys.
- The challenges of marketing underground broilers.
- The marketing reality of Broad Breasted and heritage turkeys.
- How writing the book helped Rebecca and Jim decide the future of their commercial farming ventures.
- What is an ethical meat?
- The three questions you can ask yourself to be more like a hedgehog.
- Principled marketing and the 80/20 rule to the lifetime value of a customer.
- Should your customer pay increasingly higher prices for your inefficiencies?
Links to Resources:
- Buy The New Livestock Farmer* by Thistlethwaite and Dunlop
- Good to Great* by Jim Collins (a book mentioned in the podcast by Rebecca)
- Rebecca Thistlethwaite
*Amazon affiliate link