Looking for a guest for your podcast?
I’d be delighted to learn more about how we can partner to bring your audience a message of pastured poultry profitability and self-reliance. I’m open to requests to keynote, teach short courses, present workshops, and facilitate group discussions.
I typically work with each event to identify the unique needs of the attendees to ensure that we deliver the most focused, relevant, and helpful information possible.
As a visible name with the American Pastured Poultry Producers Association, I field many requests for conference speaking. The Association is unable to fund all requests for me to travel throughout the country. I’ll work with you on the programming, availability, and requested speaker fees. See below for a list of affiliations and potential conflicts of interest.
Previous Speaking Venues
In addition to many smaller workshops, I have presented anything from a single workshop to short-courses. I commonly work with conference coordinators to develop programming that addresses specific needs of their members and attendees.
- Global Poultry Institute’s International Poultry School: Beua, Southwest Region, Cameroon. 2016.
- Ohio Ecological Food and Farming Association (OEFFA): 2017.
- Raising Pastured Poultry for Food and Profit: APPPA 8 stop roadshow: 2016.
- NOFA-NJ: 2016.
- Practical Farmers of Iowa National Conference: 2017
- Sustainable Poultry Network National Conference: 2015, 2016.
- Poultry School at Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture: 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture (PASA): 2014, 2016, 2017.
- Mother Earth News Fair (Pennsylvania and Texas): 2013, 2016.
Typical Speaking Topics from Experience
I’ve been raising my own poultry since 2008. In that time, I’ve started and retired a mobile processing business and direct marketed pastured poultry customers and chefs.
I’ve been with APPPA as an independent contractor since 2010. I have published over 40 newsletter issues (currently 28 pages each). I moderate a monthly community help teleconference called “Ask APPPA.”
Here are some topics I have presented.
- Hands on processing instruction
- Value-added chicken processing
- Value-added turkey production
- Introduction to pastured poultry
- Understanding poultry breeds and their potential for meat production
- Marketing to customers who will pay your price
- Building better shelters for your flocks
- Poultry politics – specifically the differentiation from organic
Executive Director of American Pastured Poultry Producers Association (APPPA). As an independent contractor, I manage members, respond to media, and publish the bi-monthly Grit (the organization’s trade magazine).
Co-Owner of Badger’s Millside Farm. Produce small-scale (< 1000), yet profitable, pastured poultry for direct market. As part of the farm business, my wife and I previously ran a successful mobile poultry processing business. I also maintain dealerships that sell poultry processing equipment and ready-to-lay pullets as an integral part of my farm business.
Host of the Pastured Poultry Talk Podcast, which may solicit advertisements and promote my other interests.
Board member of PA Grazing Lands Coalition.