Nearly 20 years ago, the Hale family started with 100 chickens in the first year, and now they’re projected to raise, process, and direct-market 70,000 broilers. In this producer profile, Grady Phelan talks with third generation farmer David Hale about the growth of Windy Meadows Farm.
What’s the key to David’s success? There are many, but at the center of the success is a clear division of labor that allows one person to focus on a specific area, such as production, hatching, processing, and marketing. The Hales make it a family affair, but it’s a cooperative model that could be adopted by any group of producers, regardless of surname.
- Windy Meadows Farm website
- Winy Meadows Farm on Facebook
- APPPA Producer Plus Membership
- Raising Pastured Poultry by Jody Padgham
- Feeding Pasture-Raised Poultry by Jeff Mattocks