Mike interviews Jim Adkins of the Sustainable Poultry Network (SPN). According to Jim, SPN is not a backyard chicken club; it’s aggressive at getting the old heritage and standard bred poultry back into the martketplace.
We talk about:
- Everything revolves around training, coaching, and mentoring
- “Don’t get hung up on the word heritage”
- Standard bred is poultry that has a written standard that you breed to
- The chicken industry is bigger than America
- Certification means committing to authenticity, common core values, and breed improvement
- Finding stock from a reliable source; Something more than a bag of bones
- 5 foundational pillars of Sustainable Poultry production model
- Can you do it all? – Do you have to do it all?
- Good breeders often don’t make good marketers
SPN–USA is all about creating local and regional food movements, specifically with standard-bred heritage poultry for meat and eggs. Check ’em out and let Jim know you found him through Pastured Poultry Talk.
If you like the podcast, leave us review and subscribe. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.