We continue the mini-series with poultry nutritionist Jeff Mattocks of The Fertrell Company. This will be part 2 of our 3 part technical road series that we recorded on our way to Arkansas. That explains the road hum that I couldn’t get out, but everything is clear.
In this episode, we talk about molting;
- The natural purpose of molting.
- How pastured poultry producers use molting to achieve a productive second and third lay cycle.
- The right time and the humane way to molt a hen.
- Why force a molt instead of doing it naturally.
- Bringing the hens out of molt with proper lighting techniques.
- Reasons for unexpected molt.
Ask APPPA Q&A on the third Tuesday of each month at 8pm Eastern. Dial (712) 432-1212 and enter Access Code 709-102-625 to join.