Farmer, marketer, and author Charlotte Smith joins the podcast to talk about relationship marketing, or as she puts it, farm marketing from the heart. The farm’s signature product is raw milk with diversified offerings of eggs, chicken, and turkey.
The inspiration for Charlotte’s 3 Cow Marketing service came from the realization that she sold out of her products when the neighboring farms struggled even though they were selling comparable productions. People started asking her for help.
In this show we talk about what it means to know your dream customer and discuss:
- The high failure rate of new farms. 80% fail within the second year.
- How to avoid competition and price push back.
- The differences between an on-farm store with hours versus an honor system.
- Why it’s important to set aside marketing time.
- What farmers can do to position their farms for success.
- Advice for marketing pastured poultry while employed at an off-farm job.
- Growing beyond those first 20 customers.
- Building relationships with people you may never meet.
- The difference between talking and listening with your customers.
- You’re a rockstar and your customer wants to hear what you have to say.
- Should you as a farmer write a book for your customers?
Charlotte’s favorite resource: Email marketing software from MailerLite (It’s free for the first 1,000 emails).
Recommended book: Joel Salatin’s Your Successful Farm Business.
Books from Episode