Matt Brechwald publishes the Off Farm Income podcast and farms in Kuna, Idaho. Like many people, Matt had a “good job” with good pay, good benefits, time off, and reliability. And like many people he was not satisfied. Before he knew it, he spent 15 years as a police officer, and his dream of farming was nowhere in sight.
That’s when he took action that let him build a business on the side, get a farm, start podcast, and get farming. That’s a path easier said than done, and in this episode I talk to Matt about:
- How podcasting fits into the farm business? The podcast formed to help people escape the 40-hour-a-week job. It spawned its own business opportunities.
- How he concentrated on supporting the farm through entrepreneurship; the farm is profitable, but the household still needs additional income.
- Fear held him back from his entrepreneurial goal.
- Getting rid of debt. While working, he was self-medicating with stuff. So, it’s time to get serious about the lifestyle you choose.
- Debt forces you to keep the job and turns the farm lifestyle into an obligation. Consumer debt will control you.
- Some of your friends will be threatened when you leave your job, and they have to tell you why you’re wrong.
- Matt’s favorite business ideas from his podcast: #77 on a portable sawmill and #291 about an excavation and construction business.
Favorite Book: Do the work.
Favorite Resource: 48 days podcast by Dan Miller.
Personal Habit: Take a lot of notes on ideas and goals in a place that’s easily accessible.
Best advice: Don’t sell what you catch. Sell what you know.
Contact Matt. offincome.com.